Question
Posted by: Maria | 2009-04-02

Doc wants to book me off sick

Hey CS. Hope you and kitty are well, give her a scratch behind the ears from me.

I' m battling depression and burnout, saw my psychologist on Saturday and psychiatrist yesterday. The doc wants me to go on sick leave for two weeks with no work contact. While this will be unbelievably fantastic, I do have a couple of issues with it.

I' m tired and would like a rest, and if I had ordinary leave available I would have taken it. But I don' t, I live on the leave " breadline"  at all times trying to fit in life around work. So it feels as if the doc will be doing me a favour by giving me a sick note and the ethics of this doesn' t sit well with me. It' s not as if I have pneumonia or heart disease or something. I' m not going to stay in bed, I will study and ride my horse and pick my child up early from school. Is it morally right to take sick leave and then do those things?

I also wonder if it will really make that much difference. Won' t I just be more depressed about coming to work after two weeks of " loafing" ?

Help.

Hah. Kitty came to me with a certificate that she had been spayed. But over the last couple of weeks, whe's been getting weirder, and took first to yodelling, then screaming on and off, day and knight. And crawling about on her stomach, tap-dancing with her kind legs. On Heat ! Anyhow, it has resolved the last say or so, so I can indeed now safely give her one of her favourite ear-scratches, without getting scratched by her !
So, the prospect of an "unbelievably fantastic" bit of sick leave bothers you ? A rest will surely do you good, an "rest" means doing whatever rests and recreates you, including riding and studying. It's typical o a nice person like you to worry about whether it's moral for you to rest. WOuld you feel justified if you could guarantee to sit around all day feeling awful ? Knowing you, also, you won't be "loafing" ; and recreation should help you to regain some strength to face work with more elan, and renewed strength. Enjoy --- you richly deserve it.

Sorry, folks, for the delay in responding. I've spent an anxious day in the dark, as Tshwane City Council can't keep the lights on, and this is my third power-cut this year.

5
Posted by: S-p | 2009-04-02

I don' t think the Doctor would book you off, unless he really thought you needed it :-) Enjoy!!

Reply to S-p
Posted by: Hope* | 2009-04-02

Hi again Maria,
The question is, if you take the time off, will you be stressing more about being off work rather than the work stress you are presently trying to handle. :-)

Reply to Hope*
Posted by: Maria | 2009-04-02

Thanks Hope* and Liza. I' ve been on ad' s for years and I' m a psychology student. If someone else had written this post my advice would have been to go ahead and take the leave. But it' s always easier to give advice than to take it.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Liza | 2009-04-02

Depression is skewing your thinking and causing the ' guilty'  feelings.

And do you really feel that depression isn' t a ' real'  illness? If you do feel that way it just shows how much you still need to learn about it. Since it IS a real illness - why should your ethics forbid you to take the sick leave to recover? Please take your health seriously. The shrink will not prescribe sick leave if it' s not necessary. You definitely need to recharge your batteries, and coping with work stress is not going to make this possible.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Hope* | 2009-04-02

Hello dear Maria,
Its almost as though you' ve answered your own question.
(((hugs))))
Hope*

Reply to Hope*