Question
Posted by: Joni | 2008/09/28

Doc please respond. Submitted 9/09/08

Posted by: Joni
Message:
Dear Doc,
I am 41 years old. About 4 months ago I started having pelvic pain (sometimes severe) and/or bleeding after my husband and I had intercourse. After about 4 of these episodes I went to my GYN. She examined me and saw a lesion on the top of my cervix. She did a biopsy. The pathology results are Mild Dysplasia and HPV. This was 4 weeks ago. My doctor indicated that she felt she removed the precancerous cells with the biopsy and she will do a pap smear in 3 months. In addition she sent a culture to the lab which came back negative for any infection. And I also had a transvaginal Ultrasound which came back normal. I still have pain and bleeding after intercourse and an unpleasant smelling discharge. I am concerned because everything I have read says: Abnormal cervical cell changes rarely cause symptoms. But you may have symptoms if those cell changes grow into cervical cancer. Symptoms of cervical cancer may include:
•  Pelvic pain
•  Vaginal bleeding after sexual intercourse
•  Bleeding when something comes in contact with your cervix, such as during sex or when you put in a diaphragm.
•  Pain during and/or after sex.
•  Vaginal discharge. Cervical cancer can cause more vaginal discharge than usual. This discharge is often bloody or foul smelling. Will these symptoms go away? I am afraid that maybe "  Mild"  is an understatement. Incidently I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis and therefore have to take an immune suppressing medication, Imuran. Does this complicate/impact the precancerous cervix issues I have. I am scared and a bit
confused. I would greatly appreciate your opinion.

Bleeding after intercourse is common with all cervical lesions, even those that are not cancerous. After a biopsy, this is probably to be expected. I cannot explain the pelvic pain. Cervical lesions may cause problems in that area, but should not cause pelvic pain. The discharge suggests that htere may be some infection now. I would suggest that you see your doctor earlier than 3 months.