Posted by: Momof 3 | 2008-12-18

Doberman-Engorged mam. gland-sudo preg.

Hi Cybervet I hope you can help me &  my dog.

My Doberman female is 5yrs old ,never had a litter and not spayed. Last year her one breast became very enlarged .I took her to the vet and was told she has what they call a sudo-pregnancy and milk was able to be pressed out of that huge nipple because she was not spayed &  her hormones get messed up. She licks the nipple as well.

It later developed a lump in the mammoray tissue as big as a golf ball. She was in obvious pain -even from my 1st visit as it was very swollen.The vet gave her cortisone at the time as she was licking the skin off of her front paws ,till they where raw. She had never done that before and she became very moody wanting to bite members of my domestic service team.

I took her again to the vet as this was totally out of character for her as she is a very placid ,good natured Doberman. They removed the gland and the lump was not cancerous. Thank goodness. As soon as she healed she stopped licking her paws-I think it was because of pain.

Now it has started again on the breast on the opposite side. This is about the size of 2 tennis balls now . She whimpers as if in pain. The beast is hot to the touch. She does not mind me touching but has become aggressive to non family members again,white &  non white.

I took her again to the vet and he told me he same thing she has sudo pregnancy which makes the gland swell up and we should have her spayed to stop this. Last year they told me that we cant just spay her at any time as she will become very aggressive -it needs to be done at the right time -Now when would that be -they did not tell me. ? They took blood tests then &  it was not the right time and they are very expensive even at TBAH. Tygerberg Animal Hospital.

The vet just gave her ,her yearly inoculations and said we must organize in the new year that she be spayed. Nothing for her obvious discomfort now. What do I do in the meantime.? She is in pain, whimpering all the time ,cant sit properly because of this huge swollen breast ? Is there anything natural I can give her or do for her ? The vet did say milk was able to be squeezed out of it and it is now leaking everywhere.

We dont want to bread with her and she does not come into contact with other dogs apart from barking/talking at the neighbours fence to there dogs. So we did not bother to spay her. Left her natural. Should we spay her or is that another money making thing or leave her natural?

How do I help her now? Wrap cabbage leaves around her as they help for humans? Or is there something we can give to her to take all this away for good.? Even when she is inside with me she whimpers and licks at the nipple.

Thanks in advance.

Dear Momof 3

There is drugs available to give a dog that suffers badly with this. I do not know if a drug is registered in SA for this but one is available in the UK. A generic should be available here. Ask your vet to get you some and have her spayed as soon as the clinical signs are gone. This can be as soon as a couple of weeks on the medication.