Question
Posted by: CPM | 2008/05/28

Do you know CS?

Im a bit down today....people just have no idea what life with a disabled person is like....sometimes I get so tires of doing everything. You know with a "normal" kid that they'll get "over" the stage they are in, to me everything is endless.

I'll dress her forever? Feed her forever? Brush her teeth for ever? forever forevere forever?

CS, my question today is:

is there anyway whatsoever to establish or to test or to find out what her maximum IQ will be ? Or what agegroup's mental abilities she'll ever have ?

My mom said this morning all kids need to be told everyday to do this and do that and get out of bed and hurry up and and and...but i've been doing this for so many years, i just want to know will it ever get better or is this it for life?

As always thank you so much dear CS.

Love
Mom

As you know, I know, directly, from personal experience, exactly how this is. And how much you wish her condition could improve --- if not forever, even for a month or so to provide some relief. And how you appreciate simple adult conversation, when so much of your communication has to be at such a basic level.
I'm not aware ( but then, CP isn't something I know much about ) of any test that measures future potential. I suspect it isn't likely to get greatly better than this, though maybe with some more specific training, she could learn some tasks and take on more self-care --- only a CP expert could tell you that. I find its best usually to assume that this is as good as it'll get, so that improvements can be a bonus, rather than to hope for too much, so reality comes as a disappointment. And if things aren't likely to get greatly better, at least you don't have the certainty that they will get worse.