Question
Posted by: Patricia | 2011/06/01

Do you happen to know

if there is a name for a situation when a person occasionally makes mistakes related to speech/language?

Examples:

switching words
" The beautiful are flowers"  (instead of " The flowers are beautiful" )

merging words
" to see difftoms"  (instead of " To see different symptoms" )

saying words they don''t mean to
" sit on the plate"  (instead of " sit on the chair" )

saying bad words when they don''t have a habit to say those and in a situation when they aren''t even angry
" I love these f*cking cherries"  (instead of " I love these cherries" )

The first two happen to me sometimes. The others are more based on other people, although the last one happened to me once in a formal situation and it was embarrassing.

I''m not worried, just curious to know if there is a name for this and, if possible, if there are any exercizes to help avoid such mistakes? Perhaps a way to develop the part of the brain that is responsible for these things a bit more?

English is not my mother tongue, but I merge words in my mother tongue as well.

I suspect these different events are quite common in ordinary people, and rather more common in people under stress or whose brain function is mildly impaired by fatigue, drugs, meds, and so on. You make an important observation that these events occur in your mother tongue as well as in your secon tongue. Its complex. People even show different personality characteristics in their mother tongue than in their second language, and may be better able to access emotional stuff in the mother tongue, and better able to be cooler and analytical in their second tongue.

2
Posted by: Mom | 2011/06/01

Yes its called " FOCUS" 

Reply to Mom