Question
Posted by: Caroline | 2009/05/20

Do you believe in the power of prayer

Do you believe in the power of prayer. Does it really work.

This is a very personal issue. I recall some research which showed that prayer WHICH the praying person really believed in, nomatter to which God it was directed, was helpful ; but the help was in terms of comfort rather than material things. I don't see prayer, as some people seem to do, as a sort of link to a great Amazon.com in the sky, to deliver material things.
The product helps, whichever manufacturer markets it, as it were. Devout agnostics or atheists, so long as they had a comfortably thought-through belief in their own beliefs, were as benefited as those belonging to more traditional religions. Doubt was uncomfortable.
Was makes good sense

16
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/21

It cant hurt cant it?? I say pray regardless of your views on religion

If nothing else, you feel better by speaking to someone and maybe find the answer on your own ( or he sent it to you)

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/21

self rightousness ???? praying for that is NOT a good idea!!!

pray for grace :) mercy and truth...... (apparently mercy and truth go before Gods face)

Posted by: Blessed | 2009/05/21

Please dont compare your life with the lives of others. The nice house, smart car and the good job. I know it is difficult cause I also do it. But remember rain does not only fall on one roof. You dont go home with them at night and see what happens behind closed doors. Prayer does work but on Gods terms and according to His will. Praying for a nice car and material things are not good prayers. Praying for self rightousness and spiritual growth are the prayers that He wants to hear. I' ve been through a lot and yes there were many times when I blamed Him. If you are there why does it hurt so much? you know the questions. But when I fee the spirit I immediately ask for forgiveness. Keep going nowhere does it say its going to be easy :-)God Bless!!!

Reply to Blessed
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/20

it works...believe me

Posted by: Liza | 2009/05/20

Any sincere prayer, no matter which God/deity its directed at is positive energy. And positive energy can only bring about positive results. The results might not be what you wanted it to be though. It took almost 3 years of praying for me to get a job again. Just don' t give up!

Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/20

Seek you first the kingdom of God and all
else will be given to you..

all else = everything

is anything missing from the word " everything" ?

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/20

I do believe in prayer. To me its the way of connecting. communicating and talking to my God. You need not pray only when you want something to be done in your life, you need to pray at all times. Trust me, God will definately answer your prayers!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/20

two kingdoms, two kings, two blessings.... one forever one temporal.

Posted by: Hayi | 2009/05/20

On the one hand believers have been set aside and those that fear the Lord will be blessed abundantly - on the other hand the sun shines on both? Justifications to suit you either way. Anyway - I leave it here, religion is a very long never ending sensitive personal debate.

Reply to Hayi
Posted by: Phil | 2009/05/20

Yes it does work! But we can' t expect that everything we pray for must happen? And even so, we have to also believe in our prayers, be reasonable in what we are praying for. And most of all, be true and really try and live to the expectations of GOD. Yes I' m a bIG sinner, all humans are, But at least we shoud really work at it to live according to GOD rules. I' m trying, and I have a lot of challenges in my life right now. But I can also feel that I' m being helped by a bigger hand.

Reply to Phil
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/20

dont you know God allows the sun to rise and set on BOTH the righteous and the wicked??? its not a competition between the two.

Posted by: Hayi | 2009/05/20

What is detastable about asking for a job - an honest job to put food on the table - yet people who never pray get jobs and promotions too.

Reply to Hayi
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/20

sender and receiver.... sending a prayer is done by using faith which is like a form of energy......that alone can strenghten you .... of course our motives are often not pleasing to God....if you were to ask God to give you what he wants, would you have the grace to accept it? add to the equation that the things that are loved and glorified by man are detestable to God.................

Posted by: Was | 2009/05/20

Used to believe in prayer - not so sure anymore. These excuses like " God' s timing"  all seem to be designed to point the fault back at you if the prayer does not get answered. It was your fault you did not have enough faith, you did not pray the right way, you did not do this and that.

What about these people who don' t pray but the things that we pray for - they get them. Who is giving it to them? I am talking about good people who do not worship the devil but who do not pray either but they still get the " blessings" ....

I think prayer " works"  because if you believe that something -a " higher power"  - is going to bail you out of a situation, you get hopeful and try harder and end up bailing yourself out unaware that it was all just you.

Reply to Was
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/20

(make sure your praying to the right God...this generally improves delivery)

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/20

oh yes prayer does work.....but in God' s time.....not yours.....you must believe in God and not just use prayer as a last resort......