Posted by: Gloria | 2009-06-04

Do u get medical aid for pets?

Is there some king of medical cover for pets? I haven' t heard of it or seen it advertised anywhere. Does it exist ehre in SA?

Dear Gloria

There used to be a medical aid for pets. Some human medical policies cover some bits for pets as well. Not sure what is on the market at the moment.

Posted by: Paranoid Mom | 2009-06-11

I have 3 little 4 legged children and I had them on Medical aid X and I found this to not be of any assistance to me I live on a budget and thought this might assist in times that they get sick or injured and there is no money available immediately. However this is not the case in case of emergency you still need to pay the service provider out of your own pocket and then claim back from them. This is something they don’ t tell you when you sign up you only get a percentage of the money back. Should you not have a stunning Vet like I do you will not get the care for your pet immediately you will have to have the cash available. I have since stopped the medical aid for the animals and have started a savings account for them. Also the medical aid does not pay for neutering or normal vaccinations and deworming and so forth. This is my personal experience and I can not speak for all pet owners but medical aid did not work for me.

Reply to Paranoid Mom
Posted by: kirsten | 2009-06-06

We' re using Petsure. When my cat had a R5k eye op (about 7 years ago), they covered 80% of it. We would have lost his eye at the time as we couldn' t afford that, had it not been for the medical aid. They have now told me they will be covering the accupuncture and homeopathic medicines up to my normal consulation benefit. They do cover vaccines and other regular treatments .

i think the thing to remember is that its more an insurance than a medical aid - and if you can cope without an insurance then you shouldn' t get one.

Reply to kirsten
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2009-06-06

Yes, you do get medical aid for pets but if you have 5 dogs and 14 cats they definitely do not want you!

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Gloria | 2009-06-05

I contacted the vet in my area yesterday &  am meeting with her tomorrow. She seems to be clued up on what' s available &  said she will provide me with brochures &  advise on what her other pet owners use that consult her.

Cybervet, maybe it' s time you got a bit more clued up on things.

Reply to Gloria

I found Petsure &  Medipet. Petsure provides routine day to day cover, but the annual limit is only R345 for all vaccinations, spaying/neutering, etc. This will only cover one vet' s consultation fee! The premium is around R150 a month. Medipet is only for accidental cover.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-06-04

I checked this out some time ago and found there was one. BUT: It doesn' t cover vaccinations, deworming, accidents, or pets over (I seem to remember) 8 years old.

Since the vast majority of pets under 8 don' t get sick very often, it seemed to me the co. is happy to take your money when you don' t need them to, and pull out when there' s a chance they may have to pay out.

There may of course be better products available, but I' m not aware of any.

Reply to Chill