Posted by: Mimi | 2011-09-28

Do they owe me a proper chair?

I need advice please. I''m taller than average and very overweight, middle-aged and with chronic conditions (hypertension, anxiety and depression) requiring medication that makes it even harder for me to lose weight even if I try.
My company insists on buying the cheapest office chairs they can find. Three of them have collapsed under me and I have constant backache from not having a chair that fits my size and supports my weight. I sit for an 8-hour shift without breaks.
I have made a special request for a heavy-duty chair but it was turned down, the answer being " being overweight is your problem and not the company''s" . I am now desperate enough to use my annual bonus to buy myself a good chair that costs around R8 000, but I feel it isn''t right. What do you think?

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

Hi Mimi..this is an interesting one. Without a comprehensive assessment of all the details I cannot decide who needs to fulfill the next steps. This one would require the expertise of a workplace health expert.

Posted by: Pieter | 2011-10-13

Yes. I assume that you were overweight already at the time of your appointment at the company. It''s the employer’ s responsibility in terms of the Occupational Health and Safety Act to do regular occupational health and safety risk assessments AND TO PROVIDE SAFE AND HEALTHY WORKING CONDITIONS.

Reply to Pieter