Question
Posted by: maura | 2008/06/27

do prems need more even at 8 months old

my baby was born at 32 weeks no complacations but he tends to need more from me than any baby i know born at full term. is this normal? its just i'm so tried and he constantly needs to be held and is not content unless he is up in mine or his fathers arms.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Maura
Premmies may be more demanding than full term babies, but then it would have been like this from birth. If it changed recently it may well because of his development, since he is reaching the age where seperation anxiety sets in. Try putting him down with clothing you have slept in the previous night, so he can smell you and feel as if he is with you. By this time you should be able to have him on the floor to play by times, but if it is only recent, it may be part of development only and will pass. Ask family or friends to baby sit for an afternoon so you can have a good rest (in another house than him) and leave your shirt or his comfy blanket with him.

Welma