Posted by: Landa | 2009-03-20

Dear Doc

Please help me, I' m a 40 year old woman who has been trying to conceive for the past 2 years now. I have had 2 failed IVFs. The first time, I had 5 follicles with 2 eggs, but they never seperated. THe 2nd IVF I had 5 follicles again but after the op was told they were empty, no eggs! I do not understand how, even though I am still having my periods every month, and I have the symptoms of ovulation that there are no eggs present. Is this possible? I would asume that the presence of monthly periods means ovulation also. I have exhausted all avenues but would really like to know this.

MAny THanks\

Periods don't guarentee ovulation. In your cse, it may be that the hormonal changes in the cycle occur but because your eggs are older, they are not released properly.