Question
Posted by: Martie | 2008/06/10

Do not want to take the pill

Dear Doc
For 18 years I have been on Diane/ Ginette. I had no sex life due to total absence of sex drive (I am happily married despite this.) I had a nagging suspision that it is the Pill that surpressed my sex drive, but all the gynaecologists that I have seen said its impossible. Then I saw a gynaecologist on the Oprah show who said it is absolutely the cause because it surpresses the mid-cycle surge of testosterone. I have stopped taking the pill a few weeks ago and true as Bob I have a sex drive and my husband is delighted. My question: What can we do for contraception? Condoms does not work for us.

Yes the pill does blunt your sex drive in some women. Other options include an intrauterine contraceptive device or the injectables.