Question
Posted by: Angie | 2010/11/17

Do I need to see an Endocrinologist

Hi Cyberdoc,

I suffer from PCOS and after years of battling, had two children in quick succession, they are now aged 19 months and 7 months.

During both my pregnancies I was on Glucophage 850mg, one morning and night. I stopped taking the tablets the day before each birth.

My question is, should I still be taking these tablets because I''ve noticed that since I stopped I have really battled with my weight and have developed high cholesterol.

My concern is the long term use of Glucophage and how it will affect my kidneys?

What is the right doctor to see for my continued medical treatment, some say my gynae, others say I should see an endocrinologist but I''m not exactly sure what they do.

Regards/Angie.

Hallo Angie
Do a fasting blood sugar and insulin test - if the blood sugar and insulin is higher than it should be you could be suffering from insulin resistance and then you need to still take your Glucophage. You can use Glucophage long term (hundreds of diabetics do safely) A long term high blood sugar level is more damaging to the kidneys than taking Glucophage long term. Your GP will be able to do most of the basic treament and will be able to refer you to a physician if needed.
dr Bets

3
Posted by: Angie | 2010/11/18

Hi Tammy,
This chat forum won''t let you publish email addresses so let''s see if this works - you can contact me on catluvagp (at sign) gmail (dot) com
Thanks/Angie.

Reply to Angie
Posted by: tammy | 2010/11/17

Hi Angie

is there a email add for u as I am battling to have a baby for 10yrs now.

Reply to tammy
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/11/17

Hallo Angie
dr Bets