Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2011-01-29

Do i need to see a Gynae

I am 27 years old and have never been to a gynaecologist before.
There are a few things i am getting a little worried about but not sure if i should make an appointment with a gnaecologist or if i could just go to my GP.

I have been on ''the pill'' for almost 13 years (dont judge, i was told by my doc that i need to go on for regulation not because i was sexually active, i was having my period of almost 2 weeks at a time)
and in the last 2 years or so i just never seem to be in the mood for sex, i dont want my husband to think i have lost interested in him so i do it anyways. but lately it has been becoming quite painfull during sex. and i am getting really worried.

My husband and i want to trying for a baby later in the year and i am just really worried that there may be something really wrong with me.

i know i should have gone to see a doc when i started to worry, but i was to scared.

thank you

p.s if i should go to a gynaecologist please can you advise where i can find one (i live near durbanville/Cape Town), i would prefer a woman.
I dont have medical aid at the moment.

You should see a gynaecologist if you are sexually active, and more so now that you are having symptoms. I cannot unfortunately make recommendations on this webiste.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2011-01-31

You should be seeing a gynae for pap smears as soon as you become sexually active as you are then at risk for cervical cancer.

You can either ask around among your friends and find a gynae or visit a government clinic.

Suggest that before you are pregnant you get onto medical aid as the costs of having a baby are huge and if you are already pregnant when you join, no medical aid is obliged to cover your pregnancy related health care.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-01-31