Question
Posted by: E | 2012-08-20

Do I need help?

Good day Doc, I feel like I''m on a rollercoaster and need to know if I am really loosing it... I have sever endometriosis and will undergo an operation again this year. Looks like I''ll eventually have the hystorectomy after having all sortes of other treatments for the past 7 years. I am very depressed and on Aropax as well as Ivedal... I am taking more pain killers than I should and have doubled my dose of the Ivedal because I battle to fall asleep. (My GP has no idea) I am not sure if the endometriosis aggrevates the depression but I am abusing my medication just to get through the day.

I have no emotional support from my partner as he says I don''t tell him everything and hide things from him... when I talk to him he ends up angry and says " well just have another pill" ... I find his distance and lack of support even more difficult to deal with than my physical pain... I cry all the time... feel worthless and even suicidal... Please tell me this will blow over after the hystorectomy...

Thank you...
E

Well, E, at this distance we cant tell you whether you are losing it, or have found it, or merely temporarily mislaid it.
Endometrioisis is a depressing thing to have, and depression from whatever cause makes any pain worse and harder to bear. Husterectomy can be an effective treatment, as you've surely been advised. I think it would be a good idea to get an assessment and a discussion of treatment options from a specialist psychiatrist rather than only a GP, to plan how best to prepare for surgery and to manage this depression.
YOu mention :abusing" your medication, which is of course never wise, and doesn't suggest this ia the best medication for you. Taking any antidepressant beyond the recommended dose has no likely benefits, and may cause different problems.
Sorry to hear your partner is being so unhelpful - men often feel overwhelmed by emotional probelms, and angry for no knowing how to be helpful, which is of course in itself very unhelpful.
DO see a proper psychiatrist as soon as possible, for re-assessment and treatment advice, and remember to ask about CBT style counselling / psychotherapy as well ass medications. You CAN definitely recover from all this, and deserve to do so, so lets use all available resources to get there as soon as practical

1