Posted by: X | 2009-07-12

Do I need help?

I' ve been feeling depressed for 8 years and took some tranqulisers on an occassion when I just couldn' t cope anymore. I had suicidal thoughts a lot of times but tried to igore them. Otherwise I controlled my emotions most of the time.

Recently my boyfriend broke up with me after 3 years and it feels like I can' t control my depression anymore. I don' t have hobbies, I find everything pointless, I stopped looking after myself. I just can' t bring myself to do anything.

I can' t sleep and every morning I wake up feeling very anxious that my stomach turns and my chest is sore and I feel like I can' t breathe. I' m not committed to my work anymore. In fact I hate it. I' m told that I should find myself a hobby but there is just nothing that interests me anymore.

I' m trying to move on after the break up and even though I don' t think I would want to get back with my ex if he ever wanted to get back together, I still think about him. I know it will pass but this break up made me see world in a more different way. I know that it' s normal for people to feel depressed after the break up and they usually pull through. But I' ve been depressed for a long time and this just made it worse and. I don' t know if I should go and see someone. Would it be better to see a psychiatrist or a psychologist in this case. Would antidepressants help me " find the way" ? I' m also an atheist and I think that if there' s nothing there after death then what' s the point of living...please help..

Thank you in advance

You know that this degree of depression is both miserable and dangerous, as well as pointless ( it produces no good or useful outcomes ). You also know that you need to see someon for proper specalis assistance. Antidepressants are useful in reducing the chemical impact of depression in its chemical aspects, and that can help to enable you to handle the many other aspects of the task better. CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, could be offered by either, but probably on the whole more likely to be a psychologist ( the Anxioety-Depression Support Group can suggest some shrink who procide it ) would be very suitable for you, from the sound of it, as it helps you more effectively control and deal with depressive moods and negaive ideas.
Without wishing to enter a religious debate, I find it curious for you to say that you are an atheist and yet consider life without a life after death to be pointless. The expectation of life after death somehow implies belief in some form of God, does't it ? One could alternatively argue that if there is indeed nothing after death, it makes it all the more important to enjoy life while we have it.

Posted by: Phil | 2009-07-12

On the divorce group you will alos find many people that can relate. Firstly, breaking up isn' t easy. And when you have been depressed it makes it even worse. Time does help one get over the breakup, and for some of us it takes a long time... Trust me on this one.
I personally found that we need to believe in something. And being in that black dungeon is horrible, and working on my relationship with GOD has really saved me. So the short answer is, you need to talk to someone that understands, and can help you pull through. Things might not make any sense now, but as you grow more positive it will become better. One thing to remember, if you negative the entire time it becomes a way of life. So I think it might be good to seek profesional help. But try this in the meantime. Try and think positive things instead of only seeing negative things. It will be hard, but it will atleast plant a little seed and start some possitive thinking in your subconcious mind. Hope this helps a little..

Reply to Phil