Question
Posted by: Lee | 2008/10/09

Do I need bread daily

I am very health conscience and eat pronutro for breakfast, 2min noodles or baked patatoe with mayonaise, or yoghurt with fruit- for lunch, and for supper 3 vegs with chicken, stew, mins, sausage or pasta.

I suffer from headaches as well, and are underweight (8kg) although I am small boned.

My mom said it is important that I eat bread - she bakes brown bread with seeds in daily.

thanks for your help
Date: 8/10/2008

Dear Lee
If you are very underweight it is important to eat more of all kinds of healthy foods including bread. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles I have written on this subject. If you find that you cannot gain weight by eating standard foods, then do try using a liquid meal supplement. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Other Readers have written int o tell me that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.