Question
Posted by: bitten | 2010/07/06

Do I need a tetanus jab?

Last night my cat bit me. (he has some inflammation in the back of his mouth we''re supposed to be keeping an eye on, but he didn''t want us opening his mouth)

He sank his one upper canine tooth into the inside of my index finger. I suspect he might have punctured a vein, because it bled rather profusely. I cleaned it with a bit of Dettol, and kept pressure on it until it stopped bleeding. This morning it''s still quite sore, especially when I touch it, and the skin is somewhat tight around the wound. It''s not particularly red.

Should I be worried about this, and what symptoms should I be looking out for?

Thanx!

Hallo Bitten

Yes if you did not have a tetanus toxoid in the last 5 years, rather get a booster. You may also need antibiotics for the finger if the area is red,warm and swollen and if you develop swollen glands under the arm.

I also have a cat that hates it when we open her mouth - it is a mission to get a pill down her throat! my tips:
1. do not turn the cat upside down
2. take her head in your hand with your thumb and middle finger on the cheekbones and pull her head slightly back (if you grip her like this you don't have to hold her body)
3. with the other hand, put your finger on the small teeth between the canines and pull down gently until she opens her mouth
4. look quickly!!
Pictures: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/cliented/cat_meds.aspx

Good luck and I hope the finger gets better quickly!

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/07/06

Hallo Bitten

1. do not turn the cat upside down
4. look quickly!!