Question
Posted by: Paige | 2010/01/06

DO I HAVE BIPOLAR

I have been reading alot on Bipolar and i can relate to the signs alot of them, i would hate to go see a shrink and then have to go back a couple of times before a clear diagnostic can be made, i thought maybe a pychological evaluation would help, but how accurate will it be and what happens. I have been to see a shrink a few sessions because after a session i would convince myself that i' m fine i can cope with my feelings, then a few days later i' m right back where i started.

Please help if you can, I' m afraid i might do something crazy

Remember that all mental disorders include exaggerations or excesses of symptoms and experiences that are common and normal on their own, so it is easy for basically well people to get convinced that they have disorders they fortunately do not have.
ANY competent shrink, psychiatrist o psychologist should be able in all cases to give you at least a provisional diagnosis after a single session, and should rarely need longer to clarify what the problem is and indeed whether you do have a problem. And without a diagnosis, they have nothing to treat and no other reason to continue seeing you.
I'm not clear what sort of shrink you have seen so far, and what is happening in these sessions - he/she should have done a proper assessment according to internationally recognized diagnostic criteria such as the DSM, and should have told you what they think the problem is ( if anything ) and what they suggest should be done about it. Sometimes psychological testing can help clarify a diagnosis if it is not yet clear.
So ask the person you're seeing, what diagnosis he/she has made, and what specifically he/she plans to do to help you.
Merely having sessions that just wander around getting nowhere is of no value. And tell them what you have said here, that within days of a session you convince yourself that there is nothing wrong.

2
Posted by: Daleen | 2010/01/07

Hi, I was diagnosed with bipolar after being treated for depression since I was 16, I am now 24. Its a rough road and I would sugest you go through the process coz its hard but not as bad as not being on the right meds. If you suspect its worth going through what you need to to get your answers even if you have to go the docs for more than one session and if you are I can garuantee it wont be just one session. Good luck and I really hope you wont be diagnosed with it as it really is not something I would want for even my worst enemy

Reply to Daleen