Question
Posted by: Laura | 2011/02/22

Do I have asthma

Dear Doc

I sometimes struggle to breathe, I usually have to consciously take in deep breaths to feel like I am breathing properly. The other day whilst cycling, I had a ''asthma attack'' - my throat felt like it was closing up and I was struggling to breathe. My husband gave me his asthma pump and the attack subsided. I went to the doctor but she has put it to a panic attack, however, I do not feel that this is correct, she has prescribed a Seretide pump (1 puff twice a day) and Adco Alzam (one a night). I do not wake up wheezing, nor am I allergic to anything. Is this perhaps just a reaction to the air around me or perhaps hay-fever or sinusitis?

Your advise would help greatly.

Thanking you
Laura

Hallo Laura
The only sure way to know whether you perhaps get exercise induced asthma or whether this is anxiety related is to do a lung function test. Ask your doctor to refer you for a test at a physician nearby. The tests determine how much air your lungs can hold, how quickly you can move air in and out of your lungs, and how well your lungs put oxygen into and remove carbon dioxide from your blood. The tests can diagnose lung diseases, measure the severity of lung problems, and check to see how well treatment for a lung disease is working.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/02/22

Hallo Laura