Question

Do I have an std?

Hi doc.

I really need your advice.

I’ ve developed a problem which I find absolutely embarrassing. Too embarrassing to see a doctor. I don’ t even know whether a GP would be able to help me, or whether you even get such a thing as a penis doctor? Could you perhaps refer me to someone (should it be necessary) in Pretoria East?

A while back I had a one-night stand with someone that I didn’ t know. We used protection, but I think I might have picked something up. Visibly, there is absolutely nothing, except perhaps some redness, so I’ ll only be able to explain the symptoms.

I started to develop an itch underneath my one testicle that really drives me crazy. I went to the pharmacy (not saying where the itch was), and they gave me Phenergan, which helps for about an hour.

Then my penis head started to become extremely painful. Once again, nothing visible.
Sometimes I’ m not even able to touch it, let alone wash properly.

It doesn’ t go away. This has been carrying on for about 2 months, and the pain is getting worse.

I don’ t know whether it could perhaps be an std. I did some research, and every std seems to have visible symptoms. I have no sores or lesions, but it feels as if the skin is incredibly thin and sensitive.

Please help me, this is PAINFULLY embarrassing.

Dear Anonymous
Do you perhaps ride a bicycle regularly? The symptoms may be caused by a pinched nerve ( pudendal nerve) in the crotch. I think you should see an urologist. You could try seeing Dr Johan Becker at Pretoria East Hospital.