Posted by: Annie | 2011-05-22

Do I have a vaginal fistula?

Dear Doc
Please help me. I''m a 53 year old woman who has had IBS since the age of 31  the diagnosis was confirmed last February when I had a colonoscopy. One of my biggest problems is bloating and gas. Earlier this year I had a strange sensation: when I had to withhold gas, for example, in company, it often escaped out of my vagina!!! When this happens, its passage out of the body and the force of it are completely beyond human control. From the Internet I have gathered that this could be a ''vaginal fistula''. Do you think so, and what will happen if it is? Sometimes my anus and that area around it (not the vagina, though) ache.. Please help. Many thanks.

It is unfortunately possible that you have a vaginal fistula. You will have to consult your doctor as soon as possible. There ar surgical procedures to correct the condition and have great results.