Question
Posted by: Anna | 2010/01/23

Do I eat too much?

Hi there... I' m starting to pick up weight and I wonder if it' s because I' m not eating right or if I' m over eating. In the mornings I' ll have 2 pieces of toast (with plain margarine- lite, fishpaste or peanut butter) or cereal. I' ll have 2 or 3 cream crackers or Pro Vitas (plain) midmorning. For lunch, it' s either toast again, cup a soup, oodles of noodles, 2 minute noodles or a sandwhich with tuna. Then I may have a piece of toast after work but I try not too. Supper I have normal beef or chicken with at least 2 different veggies. I do 40 minutes of walking (split into 4 sessions of 10 minutes- fast walking) and have recently started dance arobics (I try for 10 to 20 minutes). I have an office job so I' m not too active during the day.

Dear Anna
From what you mention, your diet should not actually be causing weight gain, but it could be too low in energy and it is not completely balanced (e.g. you are not including any fat-free milk or dairy products like yoghurt to ensure that you ingest 1000 mg of calcium/day). Compare your diet with an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet) and try the latter for 2 weeks to see if you can lose weight with this more balanced intake. Also try to exercise at least 5 days a week for 30 min or longer (the brisk walking and dance aerobics are excellent). Check out my reply to ‘Slim Inside’ which lists a number of factors that can cause weight gain and what to do about them.
I hope you start losing now

1

Dear Anna
I hope you start losing now