Question
Posted by: Cathie | 2010/08/24

Do I eat enough?

I am a vegetarian and only recently started eating fish and eggs. I usually have fruit for breakfast , mid morning and lunch. Occasionally I might have a bran muffin or yoghurt at lunch. Evening is vegtables and salad. I try to include some fish or egss in the evening but this does not always work. If I get stressed then I notice I eat less and I revert to only fruit, veggies and salad as they are the most comfortable and easy. I dont have to think or plan them. I suppose its not enough but I find it difficult to change my eating habits.

Dear Cathie
Vegetarians who eat a well balanced vegetarian diet which includes at least 3 servings of milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese and other cheeses and at least 4 eggs a week, generally do not suffer from serious deficiencies. You are however eating what one could call a 'fruitarian diet' which will cause serious deficiencies (iron, calcium, zinc, protein, vit B12, vit A, most of the B vitamins, and omega-3 fatty acids). Before you know, you will be suffering from anaemia, and calcium deficiency which can lead to so-called brittle bone disease in the present and osteoporosis later in life. Please check out the example of the low-fat, high-fibre slimming diet on this Website as an example of a balanced diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). Now if you apply the basic principles of this diet and just substitute milk, yoghurt, cheese, eggs or fish for the meat dishes then you will be eating a well balanced vegetarian diet. For your own sake, you need to change your eating habits before you get deficiencies.
Take care

1

Dear Cathie
Take care