Question
Posted by: N | 2009/11/11

Do emotional abusers know they are abusive?

I think I am in an emotionally abusive relationship but I do not think he realises what he is doing to me.Long story short, when I think about leaving I become afraid of what he may do, when I' m with him I am afraid.There is yelling, threats and luckily no violence but I am afraid as I am pregnant and afraid.I honestly don' t think any he realises what kind of a person he really is.

Most would probably not call themselves "emotionally abusive", but they are hardly unaware that what they aere doing is unpleasant for their partner. It is important to trust your instincts and fear, and discuss the situation with a counsellor, and perhaps with a relevant organization like POWA, to plan a safe escape. He realises enough, I am sure, of what he is to have no excuse for not working hard to change it

1