Question
Posted by: Susan | 2010/04/17

Do dogs suffer from dpression?

My mother is worried about her Labrador, she hasn''t eaten for the last three days and just wants to sleep. She only drinks milk and water. She took her to the vet and he conducted various tests and there seems to be nothing physically wrong with her. My mom has to physically push her out of her bed to get her out. Do dogs suffer from depression and what can she do?

Dear Susan

This is a controversial issue. You can buy a DAP diffuser and see if that helps.

4
Posted by: Chill | 2010/04/18

I think she should go back to the vet, with a request to do a fairly comprehensive blood test. This will enable them to see if the liver and kidney functions are normal, also pancreas and blood sugar. It definitely sounds like there''s a problem - she is not feeling well, and it''s going to be a question of finding out exactly what the cause is.

Meantime, get some Nutristim - it''s stuff in a tube, which looks a bit like Marmite, and see if she''ll take some of that - they seem to quite like it, but you could, if she isn''t interested, just put a little dab on her tongue - it contains a whole host of nutrients.

I''d be a little careful with the milk, liver and eggs - all are quite rich, plus if the problem is in the pancreas (I''ve dealt with that before) you don''t in fact want to give protein.

If your vet is stumped, he must say so and refer you to someone else - either a colleague, for a second opinion, or a vet specialist. Should you go this route, then your vet must provide all the results of the tests done thusfar to save you having to pay for them again.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Susan | 2010/04/18

The vet did tests under the microscope with blood scrapes, he tested for catflu, tickfever etc. He also took her temperature, which was normal, he did a checkup with the stetoscope of her liver, kidneys, heart and intestinal track. He could not find anything wrong, but still gave her an antibiotics injection, just in case. Yeaterday my mom liquidised some liver and egg for her and fed her with a bottle. Nothing is wrong when she swallows either. She drinks alot of water, but just lies in her bed or on the tiles, my mother has to force her to get out of bed. She won''t eat her food out of her bowl. She always eats her food from the bowl. We really don''t know what could be wrong?

Reply to Susan
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/04/18

Dear Susan

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2010/04/17

I don''t believe they get depression as such - they can certainly feel stressed and insecure though. If nothing has happened in the past few days that could cause such things, then I venture to suggest that there IS something physically wrong. If you''d post some details of the tests that have been run, then the vet might be in a better position to advise you, since some possible things have seemingly already been ruled out.

Reply to Chill