Posted by: Sybil | 2009-03-11

Do dogs naturally change pecking order?

My eldest dog (x foxterrier/maltese is 15yrs old, had him since he was 6 weeks, have always considered him top dog. Adpoted a ten month old yorkie (not miniature) who is now 5½ yrs old. He has taken to attacking the eldest dog periodically. The eldest dog has become frail and unable to fight back. Is the yorkie trying to establish himself as the top dog and should I be accepting it? I have another little albino terrier who is 6½ yrs but this little princess has no issues regarding rank. She adores the yorkie, but doesn' t fight with the old dog.

Dear Sybil

They do change pecking order and it is very important to support the most dominant one at that point. If not you will cause lots of fighting.