Question
Posted by: Alison | 2012/09/30

Do depressed people also get sick???

I have been on Venlor and Molipaxin for about 3 years. Prior to that was on other anti-depressants. I am reasonably aware of depression and how to cope with it. However, I was treated for SOB earlier this year and currently suffering with severe nocturnal exploding headaches. Doctors that I have seen always say it is depression related. Yes, my mood is currently very low, but that is a normal response to unhappy events that have taken place. How can I help myself with the headaches now? Surely if it was the depression they would be there all day and not just at night when I have been sleeping peacefully. I am willing to try anything and would prefer to stay away for Benzos etc.

Firstly, to Annie : SOB is used as an abbreviation for "Shortness of Breath", though of course it is also used for a more unpleasant and usually highly inaccurate description of a nasty person's ancestry.
OK, Alison Depression can have many effects, apart from the obvious. It is a highly effective amplifier of pain and other symptoms, whatever they are caused by, making them both worse and harder to cope with, more distressing. This reflects the point in your title : that depressed people ALSO get sick, and there is indeed some risk that it may be too easy for doctors ( and patients themselves, indeed ) to blame any and all new symptoms on depression,when they should all also be assessed for other causes.
It may, like stress, also drop one's immune system and resistance to a range of problems.
I, too, would prefer to stay away from benzo's except where they have a specific unique contribution to make, and on the recommendation of a specialist psychiatrist.

2
Posted by: Annie | 2012/09/30

What is SOB?

BTW everyone gets sick at some stage or another.

Reply to Annie