Question
Posted by: Shelly | 2009-03-06

Do and don' s after a hysterectomy

I am 44 years old and have to go for a hysterectomy due to the uterus being enlarged and pushing on my back and causing back ache. I have been for physio which did not help. All the stories people are telling me puts the fear into me. I have had 2 c sections so they have do cut the tummy. I' m told you can' t even pick up a kettle the first 2 weeks and need help to get out of bed. I am not finicky in general i was strong after the 2 c sections that was 16 years ago. I have also been told that my weight will double in the first year the Dr is leaving the ovaries in. Is this true about the weight issue. I do pilates and walk at least 2x a week. What must I do and take to prepare for this op in 3 weeks time. I d' nt smoke or drink am about 6 kg over my wieght and can' t seem to loose this. I have been told to take arnica tabs to prevent bruising and swelling. As the time gets on I am getting scared, I know it is a big op and need to relax.

It is correct that you will have to do very little for the first two weeks. This means not picking up anything more than 2-3 kg. Preferably you should have someone at home to help you when you come out of hospital. You should not gain weight after a hysterectomy where your ovaries are retained.
There is nothing you need do to prepare. Arnica is not a good idea as it can cause increased bleeding, which you don't want at the time of the operation. There is a good website www.hystersisters.com which will give you more advice.