Posted by: MissB | 2009-06-30

DNA: Help!

It has come out that, there is a possibility that one of my cousin (our mothers are sisters) may be my sister. Apparently her mother and my father had a sexual relationship in the year that my cousin was conceived.

The family need to establish if this is true and they have suggested that my cousin and I do a DNA test to find out if we are sisters.

I need to know if the fact that we are already related as cousins, will not have an effect on the outcome of the results? And I also need to know if a DNA test can be done with any doctor or are there special doctors for those kind of tests and how accurate are the results?

Dear Miss B
There are various options and various labs that does this. Discuss with your GP.
It can be expensive - up to R2000 or more for a test