Posted by: Helen | 2011-04-17

dizzyness and sleep

I have suffered with dizzyness and blackouts for a few years. A few years ago I was put through numerous tests and scans, which nothing serious showed up. I have suffered a few T.I.A in the past.
Recently, the dizzy spells are back with a force so to speak. My blood pressure is below normal (90/60 - and sometimes lower). I am having like a ''thud'' heartbeat when walking or standing up. Again, tests have shown - the ''ticker'' is fine too.
To top all of this, for the last month or so, I am falling asleep everytime I sit and watch tv or even just sit in a lounge chair. This can go on right throughout the day. I am sleeping just fine during the night. I am 48 years old. I do suffer with headaches a lot and my vision seems to be far more weaker the last month or so. Am I just getting old lol...or should I be not on a medical aid.
Thank you in advance

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Yes, it would be reasonable to be concerned. Sleep apnoea, or its related conditions, can certainly cause irregular heart beats. The problem is that the testing and treament is quite expensive - if you are not on a medical aid you probably wont get any change for R 20,000.

You should probably discuss this with a cardiologist, who may be able to reassure you, or steer you in the right direction.