Question
Posted by: Didi | 2010-04-12

Dizzy WHEN DRIVING

I EXPERIENCE PROBLEM NOWADAYS WHEN DRIVING, IT FEELS LIKE THE CAR WILL FALL OR I''M NOT MOVING STRAIGHT. I SOMETIMES PULL OUT OF THE ROAD SUDDENLY OR DRIVE WITH THE HAZARDS ON AS I WILL MOVE SLOWLY. I GET SCARED AND TREMBLING SOMETIMES AT FIRST IT STARTED WHEN I CAME ACROSS CURVES NOW IT HAPPENS EVEN ON THE STRAIGHT ROAD. I''VE BEEN DRIVING FOR MORE THAN 3 YEARS AND I JUST DON''T UNDERSTAND WHY THIS FEELING NOW. WHAT SUPRISES ME IS THAT IS THE SAME ROUTE I''VE BEEN USING ALL ALONG. PLEASE HELP WHAT CAN BE THE CAUSE?

Could be that for some reason you are developing some anxiety about driving, and it is showing itself in this way. It may be related to something that happened previously, while driving, but the main point is not to allow this to develop minto a bad habit. As Liza says, CBT is brilliant for stopping this sort of thing developing into more troublesome anxiety, and of course it's far safer than any meds, because you dotn't usually need tranquillizers that might worsen the dizzyness and reduce your concentration while driving

3
Posted by: didi | 2010-04-13

yes i do become more anxious when on the road, especially long road when driving in the street don''t get the feeling. i called the Depression and Anxiety group.

Reply to didi
Posted by: Liza | 2010-04-12

Perhaps you''re just overly anxious when getting into the drivers'' seat, causing the dizzyness. You probably had a shock while driving around curves in the past. Then when you had to take the same route, your body clenched up when you drove around the same curve that caused the shock. This is when anxiety starts to snowball. First you were just scared of the curves, now the anxiety has started to affect you even on the straight bits of road. Luckily CBT works wonders for this. Just call the Depression and Anxiety group helpline to find a therapist who offers CBT. The number for the group is at the top of the webpage.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza