Posted by: melony | 2009-08-20

dizzy sensation when waking an

I have been suffering from dizziness for the past three months.
When I wake up in the morning and get out of bed and during the day especially if I lift my head and look up. I have been on an anti biotic for the flu but this has not helped with my dizziness. Should i be concerned. My blood pressure is normal towards low.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Melony
Dizzyness originating in the ear, or so called peripheral dizzyness, could have a variety of causes. Some may be associated with so called inner ear symptoms, eg. hearing loss and loss of balance. Movement of the head may also account for a type of dizzyness called BPPV, which can be diagnosed by an ENT surgeon. I suggest you consult an ENT, who will perform a full examination to establish the possible cause. It may be found that your symptoms are not ENT related, and an appropriate referal will be made.