Posted by: Joann | 2009-04-20

Dizzy at gym

I have been gymming in the mornings for a few months now and in the past few days i seem to get quite dizzy and lightheaded in my spinning classes and i can' t seem to push myself as far as i used to be able to. I also feel really tired, moreso than usual.
My diet hasn' t changed and as far as i know i don' t suffer from high/low blood pressure (ass recent tests were fine).
I try eat a banana or apple on my way to gym as well.
What do you think it could be?

Hi Joann

Two possibilities. One is blood pressure, because if its low, then you'd get these symptoms. And if you've had tests, they may be misleading, because the act of exercise can sometimes cause the BP to fall. So a test done at rest, when you're not training, is likely to be normal and miss the true cause.

more likely is a drop in blood sugar. You're onto that, because you have told me that you're eating a banana, but it's possible that this is not enough. Perhaps you need to have some fruit juice or a Powerade during training. THat would be the easiest "test", because if you have this DURING training, and sip on it, it might solve the problem altogether. If it does, then you have your answer and the solution to the problem at the same time

If that doesn't work, then the answer is more likely blood pressure, and here you might look at increasing salt intake a little, or medication. But I suspect it's the sugar levels.