Posted by: Annie | 2012-06-19

Dear Dr. My iron count is " 9"  and should be " 11" . I have been taking chela fer iron tablets for the last year. 30mg perday. Why is it that it is still low? I''ve been very dizzyfor the past 4 weeks. Also hissing sound in my ears and stiffness of the neck. Went to dr, my ears are ok, no flu. could this have anything to do with lack of iron? I am 47yrs old and also pre-menopoasal.When can one ask for an iron injection? is there such a thing? I feel very off-balance.

I strongly suggest that you consult your doctor for blood tests, as a low iron count is a symptom and not a diagnosis. Your doctor will have to establish why your iron count is this low and why it does not improve. The hissing sound in your ears and feeling of being off-balance, is due to you being anemic. Your neck stiffness might be due to severe muscle spasm.