Question
Posted by: IV | 2010/12/22

Dizziness after Gym

I go to gym about 3-4 times a week at around 7-30am. Before going to exercise I have breakfast which is usually a bowl of corn flakes and a cup of coffee.

The problem I have is that after my exercise session (usually when I get home or to the office) I feel dizzy. This dizziness usually occurs only once I stand after having been sitting for a couple of minutes.

This occurs throughout the day even though I have several meals as well.

Any idea why?

Thanks!

Hi IV

Dizziness is either blood pressure or blood sugar. The fact that you have these spells frequently despite eating suggests to me it might be your blood pressure that is a little on the low side. Does it tend to happen more if you stand quickly? Or if you're sitting down for long periods? It might just be that your BP drops a little and that's causing it.

The solution is not too simple - there are meds for low BP, but one would want to avoid medicine unless it's absolutely necessary. Might help to increase your salt intake in your diet, and over time, as you get fitter, you'll find that it doesn't happen quite as often.

Having said this, it could still be sugar, depends on what you eat. Sometimes we eat meals and there's an afterdrop, where blood sugar first rises and then drops. So you may need to look at what you're eating - foods with a lower glycemic index might be better, if you're eating very sugary foods, for example.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/12/29

Hi IV

Reply to fitnessdoc