Question
Posted by: Daleen Oosthuizen | 2010/04/06

Dizziness

HI Doctors, I have been suffering with dizziness for the last 9 months along with fatigue, muscle tension in my neck and shoulders and occasional palpitations. I also have a dull ache behind my right ear and head. I have been for a MRI Scan and seen an ENT and the results were negative. I was told that I suffer from anxiety. I was put on Xanor for 10 days which helped wonderfully and I did not have any of the above symptoms. I was then put on Cilift whid calmed me but did not help for the dizziness. I am now on Paxil (my 5th day) and still do not feel any difference. My GP and the ENT checked my bloodworks for glucose  bloodcount  liver and blood pressure and all was fine. Please help, I am getting frustrated. Thank you! Miss D Oosthuizen

Frankly, I cannot imagine why people get sent for expensive MRI scans so early in the diagnostic process, these days, apart from the obvious profits involved. From your story, Anxiety was by FAR the most likely diagnosis from the start, and could fruitfully have been treated early on, probably with good results. Xanor is a sedative popular especially among non-psychiatrists which does relieve most anxiety symptoms in the short-run, but has potential problems of dependency, etc. From the sound of i, I really think you should ask to see a good local psychiatrist to confirm the diagnosis and discuss treatment options.
Drugs like CIlift and Paxil, originally used for Depression, can indeed be very useful in treating anxiety problems, but work very differently. Whereas with Xanor you may fel sedation within a short time after taking it, these drugs have no immediate effect, and need to be taken in an appropriate dose for days, to produce their benefits - rather like Blood Pressure meds which are so valuable, but don't bring down your BP in an hour.
There's also a very effective talking treatment for anxiety, specifically CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, which works well and fairly quickly, and helps you to learn to regain control of stress

2

Thank you for your comment. Please cam you let me know of a good pshychiatrist in the Randburg/Roodepoort area.

Reply to Daleen Oosthuizen