Posted by: Flower Girl | 2010-10-28

DIY chemical peel kits

Hi there Doctor (me again)  -)

1) I suffer from pigmentation (I have never been preggies and is not on any contraceptive for more than 5 years now). What could be the cause as it can''t be hormonal or could it?

2) Are there any DIY chemical peels available... are they safe?

Thank you very much.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Flower Girl, thank you for getting back to me.

Melasma has a strong association with hormonal changes but there are a certain percentage of people were no link can be found. The oral contraceptive may be definitely linked to the pigmentation you are experiencing. Your best option would be to consult a dermatologist or an aesthetic medical practitioner who can examine the skin and decide on the best treatment options.

I am not aware of any effective ‘at home’ chemical peels and my advice would be to use a good SPF 50 or higher that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide and to practice sun avoidance (as much as possible) and topical depigmenting creams such as NeoStrata Depigmenting Cream and Brightening Cream.