Question
Posted by: Sara | 2011/02/14

DIXI

Hello there, I rescued my Jack Russell mix 3 years ago, so I have no idea how old she is...I noticed this morning her teeth are not looking too healthy....

She still eats her dry pellets like normal so I''m not sure if she has tooth ache...I think some of them are rotten. I regularly give her denta snacks and they always have chews lying around the house.

What is the best advise you can give me to get her teeth healthy again? Is it too late to do anything? How would I know if they are painful?

Unfortunately dogs don't show pain like we do. I would certainly recommend that you ask your Vet to do a Dental on your dog, he/she will remove the rotten teeth and scale and polish the rest . Once the teeth are clean you can keep them clean by using Dental Treats Greenies, CET dental treats , hills t/d etc

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/02/17

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2011/02/14

All dogs should have their teeth looked at regularly - mostly, at vaccination time, vet examine dogs and also look at their teeth. However, as they age, they build up tartar (plaque) same as humans do - one can get toothbrushes etc for dogs, to help prevent this, but once the tartar has built up, the only remedy is for it to be cleaned off by the vet, which unfortunately has to be done under anaesthetic.

If a dog has a painful or infected tooth, you can generally tell by their behaviour, or by touching the tooth in question, or by looking at the gum.

If you think there may be a problem, then the best is to make an appointment at the vet''s, and see what he/she recommends, and then go with that.

Remember also that tooth/gum disease often leads to other health issues, the most serious of which in the long term is heart disease (this applies to humans too!) - so maintaining the teeth is a pretty good investment.

Reply to Chill