Question
Posted by: monique | 2011-06-20

dixen pupies

hi scotty
my husband loves dixen puppies and we had one but about two weeks ago my husband accidently drove over his 3month old pup and this is the second puppy i bought him.would it be a healthy idea to get him another puppy , i have asked him if his over it but he keeps telling me he misses his doggie i feel sorry for him but what should i do he doesnt want another breed and i also have a 2.5yr old daughter to consider thought she gets along with dogs, she just loves animals

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Monique, i am so very sorry for your loss and your hubby must be feeling terrible. Many behaviourists and vets say to get another dog as soon as possible, but my own view is wait till he feels ready to do so, one dog can never replace another. The grieving process is a very real thing and personally i feel that this is something we all need to go through before bringing in another dog. Although he did not have the puppy for a long period of time, the bond had been cemented, the affection was there and in your hubby's case (poor man), there may be an element of guilt as well. There are a few articles on the friendsofthedog site on Pet Loss which may give you some more insight into this subject. At the end of the day it is a very personal thing and different people react in different ways. Again, so very sorry, take care, Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-06-21

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert