Posted by: Maybe Divorced | 2009-07-07

Divorce Threats

My Husband is always threatening me with Divorce , he has done this so many times but does nothing , I am so tired of this ! This time after an argument when he once again decalred that he is going to divorce me I responded by saying , " go ahead I will believe you when I see you leave" 
I am really tired of his behaviour, if he wants a divorce why does he just do it .

This, like any other repeated threat, obviously loses its degree of menace. One wonders whether perhaps the thought of divorce is more frightening to him than to you, and he uses it as a threat because it's what he would find the most worrying threat if you uttered it. The explanation he gave you is probably more accurate than it sounds. When he gets scared and angry and feels threatened, he utters whatever threats come to his mind as suitabkle verbal weapons, not as expressions of what he actually intends to do, but as comments he thinks will bother you and bring you back under control

Posted by: CTm | 2009-07-07

I will see your divorce and raise you the house AND alimony,

Reply to CTm
Posted by: Liza | 2009-07-07

Perhaps you could try some couples counseling if he is willing. Just remember to ask him when you' re both calm. Couples counseling can even help if you do decide to part ways, by helping you part ways on a less emotionally hurtful note.

Good Luck

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Maybe Divorced | 2009-07-07

I have asked him he says when he is mad he says stuff.

Reply to Maybe Divorced
Posted by: lotty | 2009-07-07

Maybe he think you will just sit there and watch him do wrong things because you will be scared of the divorce, i mean what is it that makes him threaten you all the time.
Maybe ask him when he' s happy, why he keeps taking about divorce and he never does it.

Reply to lotty
Posted by: Spark | 2009-07-07

Play him by his own game and tell him first that you will divorce him. See him change his way.

Reply to Spark