Question
Posted by: Wendy Jane | 2010/03/12

DIVORCE - kids

My husband and I are separated pending divorce. I left home on his insistance with kids aged 14 and 19. Hubby stayed in home. We drew up visitation agreement. Every 2nd weekend husband picks minor from school and drops back home on Sunday. Whenever, there are any changes to this he contacts the elder child and not me. She sometimes relays message to me, other times direct to minor and then I hear about it. Also when kids stay with him he is always bad mouthing me to such an extent they are upset about the things he says.
What do I do? Who do I contact? I don''t have an attorney but he does. I cannot afford an attorney and he does not want to make a financial contribution or commit to anything financially. Should I put details in writing and send to him via his attorney?

This pattern of behaviour is sadly common, mean, and not good for the kids. Adults ought to put the best interests of the children first, and not try to use them as weapons against each other.
Others will be able to advise based on their opwn experience. Bu I think you do need an attorney. Check the free law clinic at your nearest law school, and also speak to the people at the Famnily Advocate / Maintenance Court. If the children remain with you he will HAVE to pay some maintenance, and the court ( not him ) should decide how much - and in a fair manner, not hearing only argymwents from his lawyer.

1