Posted by: Abby | 2009-04-03

Divorce depression?

Hi. I have a friend who is going through a messy divorce. He makes comments that indicate his reached a very low point, which is unlike him. Saying he hates who he is &  for hurting his kids with the divorce, his life is a mess, he sees himself as a failure who will always fail in anything he does. I suspect depression. When I asked if he would consider therapy, he shut down &  said no! I do not want to force the issue &  allow that to interfere with the friendship, but do think he needs to speak to someone. What can you suggest I do in this situation, as a concerned, supportive friend?

Expert ImageDivorce support expert

Hi Abby,

your friend is very lucky to have you.
A divorce is like a loss and one needs to mourn that loss. Allow him to feel his pain, his sadness and hurt and also reassure him that it will get better.
To suggest therapy may give him the idea that something is wrong. You may talk to him about SADSA and the support we offer and that we consult in divorce support.
He may write directly to In the interim, allow him to see that this is not a breaking point in his life but a change of direction.

I wish you all the best.

Posted by: RIA | 2009-04-10

Reply to RIA