Question
Posted by: Wendy | 2010-09-01

Divorce, custody etc

We are very unhappily married and our 1 year old son lives with all the turmoil. My husband has a terrible temper. On his insistence I quit my job when our son was born (earned good salary, had company car etc), I agreed to this as it was best for our son, which makes my husband the sole breadwinner. He threatens me constantly and it even got physical a couple of times in front of our son. He didn''t really show any interest in our son untill recently, and has now started threatening me that he will make sure he gets full custody of our son and I walk away with nothing. He obviously is an a better financial position than me, but I can always find a job again. We are married Out of community of property with accrual. What is it that courts look for in cases like this? Obviously the best interest of the child. My husband doesn''t even know how to change a diaper and was amazed yesterday that he can actually speak and understand. Please help, my son is my whole life, I don''t want anything from my husband and I would like my son to have a relationship with his father (should he do something about his temper), I just can''t see how it can be best for my son to live with such an unstable Dad..

Expert ImageFamily law expert

Both parents will get joint parental rights, with the mother normally the parent of permanent residence and the father the parent of alternate residence. Thus the child will live with you and he will have contact to the child every alternate weekend, holiday etc. This normally when the child is about 4 years old.

1
Posted by: family law expert | 2010-09-12

Reply to family law expert