Question
Posted by: Zit | 2009-11-16

Divorce and 4 month old baby

My husband verbally, physically and emotionally abused me. He does not want me to have contact with my family, only his family is allowed to visit our house. His mother is involved in the financial affairs of our home. I' m not allowed to buy or initiate the renovations or changes in our home, he tells me we must wait for his mother to give us his money. When he is angry with me he tells me I should not forget his mother also paid for the house. He hit for speaking to my mom and he also wants to take our baby and give to his mom to raise. I told that' s impossible he said because I work in Pta and our house is in Mpumalanga I must resign from work and be a stay at home mom. He does not even contribute financially to the baby' s stuff. He said if I take the baby to Pta he wont have money to pay for the Nanny. And I' m expected to travel to Nelspruit every weekend to see my baby at his mother' s. I left with the baby and he was still been verbally abusive. What are my chances of keeping the baby with me permanently?

Expert ImageDivorce support expert

Dear Zit,

this sounds like a very unhealthy and controlling situation you are in and I can understand why you left, you need though some good legal advice to make sure that you build a sound case as I would imagine that your husband and his mother would go to great lengths to fight this.

You can contact me for a legal referral.

info@sadsa.net