Question
Posted by: Ange | 2011-01-31

Divorce &  weight

Good Afternoon, I wonder if you can assist, I am going through a divorce, and can’ t stop eating, I feel bad all the time and has picked up so much weight, I have not gone to my Doctor as yet but are a bit worried, I don’ t want to take medication that makes me thin I just want to stop eating, but every time I eat I feel better please advise.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Ange,
It is obviously a very stressful time going through your divorce, and it appears that your comfort or impulsive eating is a way in which you are attempting to cope with the difficult feelings that go with this difficult phase in your life. I suggest that you seek some professional counselling or emotional support while you are suffering like this and also try and seek the services of a dietician or nutritionist to guide you to a healthy and conscious way of eating while you are as traumatised as you are. There is no easy fix here, but your comfort eating is not going to help you through this problem. It will only make you feel more disappointed in yourself in the long run. It is relieving that you have not resorted to medications to try and diminish your appetite. That would be a terrible mistake. Try and eat sensibly and regularly. Accept that this is an emotionally difficult time and face the feelings head-on, rather than trying to avoid them by blocking them away with your comfort eating. Does this make sense? Hope that helps.
Regards,
Graham