Question
Posted by: Harley | 2008/09/16

Diviculitsis

I have divicultsis, and my dr says no nuts, seeds fruit with skins etc, so what can I eat as a snack?

Dear Harley
I trust that you have also been referred to a dietitian to help you with a specific diet for diverticulitis? If not, please do go and see one because it will make your life so much easier (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Because of the diverticulitis you do need to avoid all foods with small seeds and pieces of skin. This does however allow you to eat crackers with low-fat cottage cheese, peeled fruit without seeds (such as peeled apples, pears, plums, pawpaw, etc), cheese wedges (if you are not overweight), white bread with jam (don't use strawberry, other berry or fig jam) or peanut butter, yoghurt and yoghurt sips.
Hope you soon feel much better.