Question
Posted by: Ferdi Herbst | 2012/07/18

Diverticulosis

I am a 65 year old male who has been diagnosed recently with the above condition. I currently am on antibioticis for deverticulitis. Can you please reccommend a diet while I am recovering aswell as for future. Regards Ferdi

Dear Ferdi
I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with diverticulitis. At present we do not know what causes this condition where pouch-like sacks or 'diverticles' form in the colon providing locations where inflammation can occur. One theory is that diverticulitis results from long-term use of a diet low in dietary fibre. I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assist you with the correct diets for this condition. I say 'diets' because patients usually require a low-fibre diet and even total bowel rest during flare-ups of the infection, and a high-fibre diet when they have recovered. How you introduce dietary fibre into your diet is also important, which is why I would urge you to consult a registered dietitian who will be able to guide you through the various stages of your dietary treatment. I also promise to write a Topic on this subject for the Diet & Nutrition section of the Health24.com site, so visit this section during next week to read more about diverticulitis.

2
Posted by: Ferdi Herbst | 2012/07/23

Thanks, I will consult a professional dietician soon- Ferdi

Reply to Ferdi Herbst

Dear Ferdi