Question
Posted by: abba | 2010-09-23

diverticulosis

Following a routine colonoscopy I have been diagnosed with diverticular disease and have been advised to refrain from eating nuts and seeds yet continue to eat a high fibre diet. I realise that I can eat fibrous fruits and vegetables without consuming seeds and nuts, but is it really necessary to cut seeds and nuts out of my diet? I normally eat them daily. What if promise to chew them extremely well?
(My normal habit is to eat all fruits whole- skin (except citrus), seeds etc. I eat raw nuts-, pecans, almonds unblanched, brazils, cashewsetc, sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, poppry, seeds, etc\

Dear Abba
The problem with diverticular disease, is that if you continue to eat nuts and seeds and fruit peels, tiny pieces of these foods may get stuck in the diverticles (small pouches in the gut) of your intestines and then cause infection or inflammation thus making your diverticulosis worse. If you struggle to apply this diet, I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to help you work out which foods you may be able to eat if they are ground finely and which ones you will Have to avoid.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-09-24

Dear Abba