Posted by: mimi | 2011-08-31

Good day doc
Just wanted your opinion on something I have been battling with. I have joined a popular weighloss programme , the first two weeks went well , I lost 2kg ( I have 20kg to lose). In my third week I started to add some excercise , 30min brisk walking every 2nd day and I drink 2L water a day. When I got on the scale at my group I picked up the 2kg I lost , I followed the eating plan 95% , I took a diuretic the next morning and when I got on the scale the next day I lost almost 3kg which means I retain water after excercise. Will it be very unhealthy to take 1 diuretic once a week ? Its very discouraging to get on the scale after a week''s hard work and find that I picked up weight when its just water

Diuretics are not indicated for weight loss. You should only use a diuretic as spesified by the manufacturer of the product. If you intend to use a diuretic, please do so under the supervision of a doctor.