Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2009-06-29

Disturbed Parrot

Hi There

Would just like to know what could be wrong with our parrot.
He is a year old, we bought him from a previous owner 4months ago.Since he came to us he has been very aggressive.The first few days he never spoke but now he speaks.
He only allows my younger sister close to him and seems to be totally inlove with her.He wants to kiss her all the time and he puts his tongue in her mouth when she kisses him.
He loves her attention, he bites everyone else and screams at us when we come close to him.
We have never done anything wrong to him so not sure waht to do.We just leave him alone now and I will speak to him every while even though he gives me these dirty looks.
He will not soeak to us either... but when the door goes open he speaks to the strangers outside although he does not want them to speak back to him and then he just goes quiet.
When he sees that you ignoring him then he will speak but just pay him attention then he goes all quiet.He gets angry when we get him toys although we put it outside his cage first and then slowly bring it in after a while.He is also afraid of most things including his toys and will bite them inot pieces.
He has lots of space, is in our lounge , warm, food, water what esle can we do for him.Im begining to just ignore him beacause of the way he is.

Dear Kelly

I know nothing about parrots.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2009-06-29

Parrots are also highly, highly intelligent - much more so than dogs. You don' t know what he' s experienced in his life, so cut him some slack. They are excellent mimics, by the way - not only with talking, but with behaviour, too. If you ignore him, he' ll ignore you, and if you' re aggressive towards him, he' ll retaliate. So use your SUPERIOR intelligence to provoke the response you want from him.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2009-06-29

I would suggest you research the type of parrot you have .. and then sit and think very carefully if you are the right person to have the privlege of owning a parrot.

Parrots are magnificant fantastic pets , but they need to be researched so that potential owners understand their needs and how to care for them.

Reply to Carol